Pages

Monday 28 June 2021

28mm Early Imperial Roman 2nd Legionary Cohort

As I Plod on with painting my Early Imperial Roman army the pictures below represent the second Legionary Cohort of the Legion 'Legio XX Valeria Victrix'. The transfers are available from 'Little Big Man Studios'. 

There is a theory that the number of discs on the standard carried by the cohort ensign represents the numerical status of the cohort e.g. the 1st cohort would have 1 disc, the 5th cohort five and so on but contrarily it used to be thought that the discs represented battle honours. I'll be honest I have no idea if any of these are correct.

One standard bearer and one Cornicern wear bearskins over their armour. The Commander has a cream and brown crest with seagull feathers in his helmet. I chose red for the uniforms mainly due to having painted the Republican Roman Legionaries tunics cream on earier Blog Posts. I'll leave more colourful tunics to the Auxiliary units.









Job done, next I have a Roman Ballista to finish, then the 3rd Legionary Cohort when Adam at Aventine Miniatures sends them to me.

All the Best and Happy Painting,

Peter.

4 comments:

  1. Marvellous! The texture of those bearskins is excellent and the centurion looks just grand (as do the rest of them).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers James :) Aventine minis are very nice to paint.

    ReplyDelete

Make your comments here :)