Monday, 24 November 2014

28mm Napoleonic British Infantry, late Napoleonic

Continuing with my Napoleonic project, the idea was to limit myself to buying and painting one unit per month, either a regiment of cavalry or battalion of infantry or battery of guns, so that I'd keep my interest in the period. The plan being to finish painting and basing a unit, then order another unit from Perry miniatures which usually arrive within 3-4 days. BUT I'm moving North so this will be the last post on my blog for a while until I get established again possibly after Christmas.

The British Infantry - The 3rd Battalion 1st Regiment of Foot Guards 1815.

Continuing to restock my Napoleonics I've managed to complete 1 battalion of Foot Guards.

Each battalion of infantry will be made up of 16 infantry. Flags from GMB

These miniatures were to represent the 1815 campaign that gives me a relatively limited scope for battles such as Quatre Bras, Waterloo.

GMB flags as they come
there are crop lines to help you cut the flag accurately
PVA glue was used to stick the flag together.
The flags wrinkled as in a breeze
Notes on using GMB flags:
Carefully cut out around the flag using a scalpel trying to avoid making to neat an outline, glued with PVA and folded around a prepainted flag pole. Whilst the glue was still wet it was folded and wrinkled to give the appearance of fluttering in a breeze. Once the glue was dry,  the fringe was carefully cut here and there to improve the effect and painted in the original colours to cover any of the white paper showing through, then gold added to the studs on the flag pole and liberally on the fringe. I've never used GMB flags before but they can come up a real treat with a bit of care.
Perry minis on their painting strips.
The command base.
The backpack has the regimental Badge on it
waterproof shako covers in black

The drum should have the Regimental badge on it, I'll add this detail at a later date.

notes on paint.
Humbrol Scarlet red enamel paint (No.60)- to represent the red regulation uniforms. The scarlet paint was mixed with different quantities of enamel black to provide shading, then used raw out of the tin for the final colour.
Gold enamel from Revell No.94 painted onto the flag giving it a bit more impact, this is the best gold paint I have found so far.

notes on basing:
Polyfilla, rocks and stones brushed in many shades of burnt umber oils mixed with Humbrol No.62 leather, highlights on the stones etc. Humbrol No.62 leather mixed with No.154 yellow and No.34 white.
Static grass self-adhesive tufts manufactured by me under the eBay pseudonym Lord_Jaggard

Anyhow Cheerio for Christmas and have a Great New Year :)


  1. Superb painting. I wish I'd read this before I applied all my GMB flags. Very helpful, useful post.

    1. Cheers Mike :)
      I've found that it's always a good idea to experiment with different wavy effects on flags by using different glues (watered down PVA in this case) then just scrunching the flag a little....the trial and error method can bring some interesting results now and again.
      All the Best, Peter.


Make your comments here :)